Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nursing Shortages and Baby Boomer Care Considered


The Baby Boomers are now turning sixty and there are millions of them who will be aging slowly and gracefully but they will need care and we have a severe shortage of nurses in the health care industry. This will be quite a challenge during the next forty years.


One of the biggest problems in the Nation with nurses is that there is such a severe shortage now, that one cannot imagine what that might be in the future. While driving through Albuquerque, NM recently, there was huge billboards on the I-40 Freeway. "$10,000 signing bonus; Nurses Needed"


In Daytona Beech, FL one of the ladies in Walgren's told me that at least once per week someone comes in offering $10,000 more per year and $5,000 signing bonus for her to drop her Pharmacy Job and come work for a different pharmacy. Shortages there also.


Perhaps these are professions which are hard to fill, Additionally nurses around the country tell me that the Mal-Practice Lawyers are out in full force going after Nurses now, because the doctors now have better lawyers and their mal-practice insurance companies are settling less and fighting more, so now they attack the nurses.


Then as you know now more people are having in-home care and it will takes another chunk of the nurses for that and we know the demographics; people living longer, living with illnesses and an aging population.


As I travel the nation I see many kids in Borders or Barnes and Noble Coffee shop studying their medical books. I have talked to them in Tucson, AZ and Palm Dale, CA this year and they explained the drop out rate is high for nurses and the competition is tough too, not everyone makes it and still the shortages get worse and worse.


I certainly hope this article is of interest and that is has propelled thought. The goal is simple; to help you in your quest to be the best in 2007. I thank you for reading my many articles on diverse subjects, which interest you.




No comments:

Post a Comment